Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Cake

Since last two days , something was bothering my throat.It was heavy, agonizing and not getting an outlet.I knew very well what it was , and I pitied my helplessness as  I had become numb enough ,that I was unable to extract it out. Whatever it was , it was not something physical, although it felt heavy and painful that time, but I knew very well the art of removing the pain, but I knew that whatever solution I would apply, its  effect  would remain for a short period of time, and then it would start again and to give myself a momentary relief, I treaded towards a bakery.
My mouth desperately wanted to date some sweetness at that moment , just some sweetness , not too much; so when I reached the bakery, my eyes immediately fell on different types of cakes which were arranged inside a big glass container. Different flavours of cakes like chocolate , vanilla, pineapple, dark chocolate etc were embellished  in the most tantalizing manner in order to attract the customers. But I did not want those cream cakes, as they were too sweet. I had never liked too much sweetness, and so I looked elsewhere and my eyes fell on chocolate muffins. I happily lifted up the packet, but suddenly my mood changed. I thought chocolate muffins must be too sweet, so I finally bought a packet of vanilla slice cake.
In a few minutes , I boarded the train. I saw no one sitting around me , so out of temptation and to cater to  my bodily and emotional needs, I removed the slice cake packet from my bag and instantly tore it open.

I picked up a  slice and took a big bite .I savoured its sweet taste in  my mouth which had already begun salivating. My taste buds were quite in high spirits. My whole body and soul  were intoxicated just by having one bite of that slice. This made me instantly become oblivious, of the blockage in my throat which had bothered me before. I greedily gobbled up the entire slice, and then I felt better.

Then something flashed up in my mind.

He said, “  You know baby, that I don’t have time. I will not get leave dear.Please understand.You may go with your parents.”

“ But , you don’t have to pay a penny.We are getting free tickets.Why can’t you come?It’s just the matter of two days.” I fervently argued.

“ Nooooo, sweetheart…please understand. I cant come .I cant get leave.I am busy.”
“Then I will have to go without you.” I replied with no emotions.

The scene washed away, as the train halted at the next station.I took up another slice and began devouring it.This time more hastily.I was gradually becoming greedier and then something from the past resurfaced.

He said excitedly, “ Darling … It’s Ovi’s teething ceremony. Sister had called me to invite us for the same, and in this function, uncle’s presence is really required .I don’t want to disappoint my sister.I feel we must go. What do you think?”

“ But it’s not an important function.” I replied.

“ I really want to go , or else sister will feel bad.”

“ Then , you may go.”

“ But I want you to come with me.They have invited you also.”

“ But I have work.I can’t come.”

“Sweetheart please…. try to understand…my family members will not like if we don’t go.”
Ultimately after too much of sweet talk on his part, just considering his emotions , I gave in.

The train jerked as it halted at another station.I saw the cake packet.There were eight more slices remaining .This time , I devoured two at a time and again began cherishing the sweetness.  Then again I shut my eyes and he reappeared .

I said to him, “ Dear, I think, this vacation we must go some where .I seriously need a break.Its been almost a year and  we have not gone anywhere.”

“ Then go to your parent’s house.” He blurted. “ You will feel relaxed and also have some change .”

“ But I want to go with you.”

“ Darling …my sweetheart, its summer.This season I have lot of work to do .There is no question of getting leave.You know how my boss is.”

I didn’t say a word.That year’s vacation, I alone visited my parents in the village.

The next station was announced , when I came back from my stupor.Now there were six slices remaining , and I took four at a time, and I hogged them avariciously. Still no one had boarded the train and then I was back alone , drowned in the  world of my memories.

“ We have to go for this festival. This time it’s for five days, and if we don’t go , my parents will be upset .I have already booked the tickets. I am so excited .” he said.

“ You should have asked me first before booking the tickets.I won’t get leave during this season.” I retorted.

He approached me with his utmost innocent and pitiful expression , and uttered, “ My darling baby…please try to understand.What will my parents and  my relatives think if we don’t  go for this occasion?.”
He looked into my eyes like a servile cat for some time, and after some more sugarcoated utterances from his part, I eventually relented .Just for him. Not out of love, but out of courtesy .I accompanied him finally.  His parents , his sister, his relatives –All were so really happy .

The train stopped at the last station. I had to get up now.I saw the packet , just two slices were left, but now I didn’t feel like having them.My mouth was full of sweetness, after having six slices.I couldn’t take in more sweetness. The thought  of sweetness , itself was so despicable to me.

When I reached  home, I saw the door was open. As I entered ,I saw a big paper box kept on the table .

He came out from the bedroom, and hugged me saying, “ Happy birthday to my dearest sweetheart .See what I have got for you!”
He removed a packet from a bag,  which was gift wrapped.
 “ Just open it.” he urged.
I opened it and found it was a full sleeved heavy dress studded with gold and diamond beads all over the synthetic fabric.It had a Chinese collar, and a weighty duppatta which too was decked up with some shimmering beads.

“ Thank you.” I said.

“ No..i want you to wear it…just freshen up and change .” he demanded. I looked at him with my tiresome eyes, but spoke nothing.

As I wore the dress, the shimmering thick threads underneath the full sleeves , pricked me.The Chinese collar fastened itself around my neck. The heavy dupatta obscured my figure. My body’s breath was stunted.

I went out in the living room.He had opened the  paper box , inside which was kept a big chocolate cream cake, on which was written “ To my dearest wife.”
He handed me the knife , and I cut a big piece of the cake.As I went to feed him , he stopped and said.
“ Nooo, sweetheart, its your birthday. You must eat first.”
And before I could express my refusal, he forcefully and impulsively thrusted it into my mouth which helplessly went down my throat, thus choking it more and more , with too much sweetness.




No comments:

Post a Comment